- NYC 11/10/2012
Information here is provided by National Employment Law Project
, Please click here for details: http://unemployedworkers.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php/site/blog_entry/disaster_unemployment_assistance_how_workers_can_access_the_program_sandy
Here is a listing of some benefits which may be obtained by those impacted. DISASTER UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
available for workers who lost their job as a result of Hurricane Sandy. Application Deadline is December 3, 2012.
The following are examples of situations that may make you eligible:
- You were injured in the disaster and are unable to work, whether you are an employee or self-employed.
- Your workplace was damaged, destroyed, or you can't work because of the disaster.
- Your transportation to work is not available because of the disaster.
- You cannot get to your job because you must travel through the affected area, and you cannot do that because of the disaster.
- You were about to begin working, but could not because of the disaster.
Disaster Unemployment Assistance http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/disaster-unemployment-assistance.shtm JOB HIRING FOR IMPACTED WORKERS
- You got most of your income from areas affected by the disaster, whether you worked for yourself or for an employer, and your business is down because of the disaster.
: New York received $27,792,296 in federal Disaster National Emergency Grant funds.
The grant will be used to HIRE WORKERS WHO LOST THEIR JOBS as a direct result of Hurricane Sandy in Bronx, Kings, New York, Richmond, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and Westchester counties TO HELP CLEAN UP IMPACTED COMMUNITIES.
To be eligible, workers must be unemployed prior to or as a result of Hurricane Sandy. Interested workers call 1-888-4-NYSDOL (1-888-469-7365 no known site).UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIMANT EXTENSION DATE
Unemployment Insurance claimants who were unable to certify for their weekly benefits due to the loss of power and phone service.
The DOL will extend the date of certification of UI benefits for people impacted by Hurricane Sandy from Nov. 3, 2012 to Nov. 10, 2012.
Call 1-888-209-8124 (no known site) and speak to an agent to receive benefits for the prior week. If you are unable to access a phone, visit any of the agency
One-Stop Career Centers http://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/ui/P814FSE.pdf EMPLOYER'S OBLIGATION TO PAY WAGES: http://www.mfy.org/wp-content/uploads/Hurricane-Sandy-Employers-Obligations-to-Pay-Wages.pdf EMERGENCY LEGAL CLINICS IN NYC: http://www.mfy.org/wp-content/uploads/Sandy-Clinic-flyer.pdfEMPIRE JUSTICE CENTER - HURRICANE SANDY RESOURCES: http://www.empirejustice.org/issue-areas/civil-legal-services/articles/legal-resources-for-those.html
Info on: Immediate/Emergency Assistance, Health and Health Benefits, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security Benefits, Food Assistance, Housing and Foreclosure Assistance, Immigration, Legal Services Issues, Administrative/Fair Hearings, Consumer Assistance, Unemployment.