- New York City 08/12/2015 (Governor's Office)
Today, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Commissioner Dr. Bassett and New York State Commissioner of Health Dr. Zucker gave an update on the outbreak Legionnaires’ disease in the Bronx. All testing is done by a single laboratory run by the state of New York, the Wadsworth Laboratory located in Albany, and as such all information is uniform and coordinated.
Three new sites have tested positive for legionella within the impact zone – this is in addition to the 11 previously identified inside the impact zone. Separately 6 sites have tested positive for legionella outside of the impact zone that are not necessarily related to the outbreak in the South Bronx.
In combination, to date a total of 20 sites have been identified inside and outside of the impact zone.
Regardless of test results, every cooling tower identified in the impact zone has been immediately ordered disinfected and remediated. Any site, regardless of its location, that has tested positive has been immediately ordered disinfected and remediated. The Commissioner’s Order issued last week by Commissioner Dr. Bassett instructs all building owners in the city to inspect the cooling tower and associated equipment for the presence of contaminants, and - regardless of the outcome of the evaluation - carry out a disinfection/treatment sufficient to remove bacteria and contaminants.
Below is a list of the sites within the zone that has been identified as of today. Each of these sites have been disinfected and remediated.
· Concourse Plaza, 198 E. 161st. St.
· Opera House Hotel, 436 E. 149 St.
· Lincoln Hospital, 234 E. 149th St.
· Streamline Plastics, 2950 Park Ave.
· Daughters of Jacob Nursing Home, 1160 Teller Ave.
· Post Office, 558 Grand Concourse
· Verizon, 117 E. 167th St.
· Bronx Housing Courts, 1118 Grand Concourse
· NYC Department of Education 455 Southern Boulevard. Also called Samuel Gompers High School.
· DHS PATH Intake Center, 151 East 151st Street.
· Bronx Hall of Justice, 245 E 161ST Street
The following sites have newly been identified as testing positive and are inside the zone. Each of these sites has either been disinfected and remediated or is in the process of being disinfected and remediated.
· Chris’ Super Deli, 903 Sheridan Avenue
· Pyramid Safe Haven, 470 E161st Street
· Conway Store, 2952-4 3rd Avenue
The following sites have been identified as testing positive but are outside the impact zone and not necessarily related to the outbreak in the South Bronx. Each of these sites have been disinfected and remediated.
· Verizon, 1106 Hoe Ave.
· Police Dept., 1086 Simpson St.
· Wildcat Academy, 1201 Lafayette Ave.
· 230 East 123rd St.
· St. Barnabas Nursing Home, 2175 Quarry Rd.
· St. Barnabas Hospital, 4422 3rd Avenue